March 21st, 2011

life is good peace

thermal success

i tried two oatmeal experiments last night. the first was another shot at the big thermal cooker using my small tiffin. half a cup of oatmeal to a cup and a half of boiling water (plus cranberries and pecans...YMMV). i put the tiffin in the thermal's interior pot, added more boiling water to the rim of the tiffin, topped it off with a couple of pot holders to fill the empty space and closed the lid. i think it was about 4.30am when i did this. at 11 this morning, i opened the tiffin.


Perfectly done yummy delicious awesome oatmeal.


i also wanted to try the thermos method because it is better for making one serving. leftovers requires refrigeration and that requires more power than my solars can pull. half a cup of oatmeal and filled thermos with boiling water. i set the thermos on its side to better distribute the heat.


almost perfect oatmeal, but not so much.


it will work, but i need less oatmeal and more water. it was cooked, but thicker than i like. i usually add soymilk so it wasn't a big deal, but i did have to scoop it out to add milk since it expanded right up to the top.

overall, i think i will stick with the thermos method for oatmeal for one. tonight or tomorrow i am going to try a single serving of black beans or lentils with some rice in the thermos.
wwii

stealthy airplane...........factory

An extensive passive defense effort was initiated in April 1942 to protect the Douglas Aircraft factory in Santa Monica, California, through the application of one of the most extensive camouflage efforts ever undertaken. Volunteers from various Hollywood film studios donated their own time to create a decoy plant several hundred yards away from the actual plant in an open field and to disguise the actual plant as a housing area. Revetments provided protection for aircraft parking, and barrage balloons ringed both the real and decoy plants. However, the main effort used careful painting to transform the runway into an urban residential area and the installation of a three-dimensional framework over the plant buildings complete with plywood houses and trees and bushes constructed of chicken wire and cloth to create a false hill. The camouflage project was essentially completed by October 1942. Although the project was intended to protect the plant from Japanese photoreconnaissance, neither the Japanese Navy nor Army had the capability to undertake such a mission. The level of detail achieved was only possible in a southern California environment; heavy rain or snow would have caused the components to fail, giving away the location.

 
Before:



After:


 
Close Up:


Pretty cool.  

 

Sources: Stanley, Roy M. II, To Fool A Glass Eye: Camouflage versus Photoreconnaissance in World War II, Washington, DC, Smithsonian Institution Press, 1998.